HANSOL KOREA OPEN
September 20-26, 2010
Results – Sunday, September 26, 2010
Singles – Final
(5) Alisa Kleybanova (RUS) d. Klara Zakopalova (CZE) 61 63
Doubles – Final
Goerges/Hercog (GER/SLO) d. (4) Grandin/Uhlirova (RSA/CZE) 63 64
- Kleybanova, 21, wins her second Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles title. She is now 2-0 in Tour finals, also winning her only previous final – at the Kuala Lumpur in February.
– In the first set of her second round match against Ksenia Pervak, 28th-ranked Kleybanova lost the longest tie-break of the year (15-13). Thereafter she lost just 15 games in eight sets on her way to the title.
– Zakopalova falls to 2-9 in career finals, and 0-2 this year. The 28-year-old Czech, currently ranked No.39, was runner-up to Caroline Wozniacki in Copenhagen earlier in the summer.
– Julia Goerges and Polona Hercog win their first Tour doubles title as a unit. Goerges now owns three doubles titles, while Hercog has two.
Alisa Kleybanova, 2010 Hansol Korea Open singles champion:
“Before coming here I wasn’t thinking about winning the title because I haven’t been playing so well recently. Day by day, match by match, I was feeling better about my game; towards the end of the tournament I was fighting to win the title. The first title is always special, but the second one gives me confidence and proves the first one wasn’t a lucky one. This definitely helps me towards getting into the Top 20. I know not straight away, but it gives me the belief.”
Klara Zakopalova, 2010 Hansol Korea Open singles runner-up:
“Alisa was playing very well today. I was fighting and tried my best, but it was not enough against her. The Korean fans were supporting me so much all week though, and I have to thank them.”