September 10-15, 2012
Results – Saturday, September 15, 2012
Singles – Final
Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) d. (Q) Donna Vekic (CRO) 64 64
Doubles – Final
Kania/Pekhova (POL/BLR) d. Chakvetadze/Dolonc (RUS/SRB) 62 ret. (Chakvetadze: back injury)
- Begu wins her first WTA title in her third final, having previously been runner-up at Marbella and Budapest in 2011.
– The only set Begu lost all week was in her 36 76(1) 75 quarterfinal win over Galina Voskoboeva in which she rallied from 5-2 down in the third set.
– Begu’s previous best results this year were semifinal showings in Acapulco and Palermo.
– Begu is the ninth first-time titlist this year after Barthel in Hobart, Kerber in Paris [Indoors], Arruabarrena-Vecino in Bogotá, Babos in Monterrey, Hsieh in Kuala Lumpur, Bertens in Fès, Oudin in Birmingham and Jovanovski in Baku.
– Vekic was playing her first career WTA main draw after winning three qualifying matches.
– Vekic recorded her first three Top 100 wins this week – over No.54 Magdalena Rybarikova in the first round, over No.91 Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino in the second round and over No.64 Bojana Jovanovski in the quarterfinals.
– The 16-year-old Vekic was the youngest WTA finalist since 15-year-old Tamira Paszek won Portoroz in September 2006.
– Vekic started the week ranked a career-high No.183 and is projected to rise to a new career-high of about No.135.
– Kania and Pekhova teamed up for the first time this week.
– This was the first WTA title of any kind for both Kania and Pekhova, each of whom was playing in their second WTA doubles events.
Irina-Camelia Begu: “It feels great to win a title. I’ll take back sweet memories from the Tashkent Open. I’m glad I made the last minute decision to play here, and I will surely come back to defend my title next year.”
Donna Vekic: “I’m happy I had a good week, but a little disappointed of not being able to win the title after coming close. But I will come back. And the event has brought me a lot of experience and will surely help me in the WTA events I play now – this week will be great for my future on the tour.”
Paula Kania & Polina Pekhova: “We are thrilled and speechless. We were the last pair to get in and to win the tournament is amazing. We have always seen the winners here wearing the Uzbek Chapans, and we never imaged we would ever wear them, but we are proud to wear them today!”
For Match Notes / Head-to-Heads / Player List
Florida office: +1.727.895.5000
London office: +44.20.7386.4100
Beijing office: +86.10.5910.2700